Your plans should include working on a household budget to balance your spending and savings needs. There will be a lot of things to talk about.
Discussions about expenses should include:
- How much is the wedding going to cost?
- Debts either of you might have, such as student or car loans.
- Are you going to share the balance of any loans or will you each be responsible for paying your own debts?
- How will you cover regular bills, such as rent, utilities and food?
- Are you planning to have a joint checking and savings accounts or will they be separate?
- If they’re separate, who will be responsible for what bills each month?
- Saving should also be part of your planning.
You should be considering:
- Plans for short-term savings, like for a vacation or furniture.
- A separate emergency savings for unexpected expenses such as a major car repair.
- It’s never too early to start planning for retirement – such as putting money in a work 401(k) or an IRA.
- You’ll also need to learn what you need to do when it comes to combining checking or savings accounts and naming beneficiaries.
We're here for you
Wherever you are on your financial journey, we have experts that are available to help make your dreams a reality. Our team is dedicated to offering the best in customer service, plus, you can call or chat with us anytime, day or night! So, don’t hesitate to give us a call at 616.559.7000 or stop by your local branch.