Making a decision about where you want to invest in your home can be challenging. Keep in mind that while you’re adding value to your home, you’re not likely to recoup the full cost of any home project. Be sure to consider how long you plan to stay in your home, especially if you’re looking at expensive updates that add little value to your home. For example, a modest kitchen remodel will typically add significant value while a new swimming pool may not.
Eco-Friendly Energy Efficient Upgrades
One way to increase the value in your home is by making Energy-Star rated updates. These upgrades can make your home more comfortable and may significantly reduce your utility bills:
- Heating and Cooling
Smart Home Features
Adding updated technology can add to the energy efficiency, convenience or security of your home. Some common smart technology updates include:
- Thermostats, HVAC fan or vent system
- Fire/carbon monoxide detectors and flood/freeze sensors
- Outdoor watering systems
- Security locks, cameras, lights or alarm systems
When it comes to remodeling, a modest update in a few key areas of the home are more likely to add the most value. Some of the most common rooms to focus on are:
- Kitchen: Refacing cabinets and replacing hardware, new countertops and sink, new or refinished flooring, fresh paint
- Bathroom: Refresh cabinets, countertops and sinks, replace old or outdated fixtures and flooring
- Finish Basement: Finishing a basement is a great way to add usable square footage to your home at a lower cost than additions.
- Home Office: Try to carve out a little space for a small home office or work area
Another key part of the home that is well worth investing in is your exterior. A few simple exterior updates will give you an outdoor space you’ll love and help make a great first impression.
- Power wash or fresh coat of paint
- An upscale front door or garage door
- Landscaping features like new plants and fresh mulch
- Outdoor deck or patio
We’re here to help
Real Solutions for Real Life
We want you to have the best home loan experience possible, so we've created this checklist to help you prepare for the application process.
Home Loan Process
Our mortgage lenders ensure you’re prepared on the journey to homeownership by walking you through every step.
View the process
View the process
Your needs matter to us, so our lenders get creative and work quickly to come up with a solution perfect for you.